This news release was originally published by the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre on January 5, 2023. Read the original release here.
Royal MTC’s Regional Tour returns with Assassinating ThomsoN, Created and Performed by Bruce Horak
Originally Directed by Ryan Gladstone
January 30 – March 4
“Horak crackles with energy…he’s unbelievably fast on his feet.” – The Chronicle-Herald (Halifax)
WINNIPEG, January 05, 2023 – The Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre and PlayNow.com (Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries’ online gaming site) presents ASSASSINATING THOMSON, marking the return of our Regional Tour. Traveling to 24 communities across Manitoba and North Western Ontario from January 30 to March 4, 2023, this solo show draws the audience in with a simultaneous storytelling and portrait painting experience.
In ASSASSINATING THOMSON, critically acclaimed Legally Blind Pertormer/Creator Bruce Horak paints a portrait of the entire audience while interweaving his own story and the tale of celebrated Canadian painter Tom Thomson’s unsolved murder. Art, politics, grief, comedy, triumph, ambition, love and murder are intertwined in a one-man tour-de-force as Horak tells his own fantastically inspiring tale and reveals the unique way he sees the world.
Following the performance, the unique painting created during the show will be auctioned. Proceeds from the live auction will be donated to Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Having lost over 90% of his eyesight to a childhood Cancer, Horak has navigated the world of the fully- sighted his entire life. Bilateral Retinoblastoma is a cancer which appears on the retina of the eyes, the treatment of which lett Horak completely blind in one eye, with extreme tunnel-vision, light sensitivity, floaters, and a cataract in the remaining eye. For the past 25 years, Horak has pursued a career in the performing arts and has won numerous awards for his performance, writing, direction and creation. He has performed across Canada, the United States and Europe and became Star Trek’s first blind actor when he played Hemmer on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds first season in 2022.
Tickets for ASSASSINATING THOMSON can be purchased from representatives in each community. The MTC Regional Tour is proudly presented by PlayNow.com (Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries, online gaming site) with additional support from IG Wealth Management, Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company, Calm Air, Fuel Sponsor Red River Co-op, and with the generous support from the Manitoba Arts Council.
For more information, please contact:
Lauren Wagn, Communications and Social Media Manager | 204 934 0302 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Christine Corthey, Production Associate | 204 954 6403 | email@example.com
REGIONAL TOUR SCHEDULE
- Monday, January 30 – Neepawa, MB
- Tuesday, January 31- Gimli, MB
- Thursday, February 2- Thompson, MB
- Friday, February 3 – Snow Lake, MB
- Saturday, February 4- Flin Flon, MB
- Wednesday, February 8 – MacGregor, MB
- Thursday, February 9 – Minnedosa, MB
- Friday, February 10 – Strathclair, MB
- Saturday, February 11- Virden, MB
- Monday, February 13 – Brandon, MB
- Tuesday, February 14 – Deloraine, MB
- Wednesday, February 15 – Souris, MB
- Thursday, February 16 – Killarney, MB
- Friday, February 17 – Crystal City, MB
- Tuesday, February 21- Atikokan, ON
- Wednesday, February 22 – Sioux Lookout, ON
- Thursday, February 23 – Dryden, ON
- Friday, February 24 – Red Lake, ON
- Saturday, February 25 – Kenora, ON
- Sunday, February 26 – Great Falls, MB
- Tuesday, February 28 – Steinbach, MB
- Wednesday, March 1- Carman, MB
- Thursday, March 2 – Portage la Prairie, MB
- Saturday, March 4 – Churchill, MB